In Barcelona there are countless monuments, buildings, museums and main landmarks to see, definitely! Many of them still maintain a strong bond with the two natural environments that characterize the city: the sea and the mountains. On the first, you need only to walk around Barceloneta, Drassanes or the port to realize the strong seafaring tradition of the city. The second, if you want to discover more just visit Collserola.
This natural park offers over 8,000 hectares of untouched nature that will surprise you with the variety hidden inside: microclimates, riparian environments, Mediterranean meadows… If you are a silent visitor you can discover the native fauna: wild boars, rabbits, badgers, squirrels, warblers…
Inside the park you will find many viewpoints: this mountain offers spectacular views of the territory between the Llobregat and Besos. Some of the most interesting points in Collserola are:
- Collserola Tower: Built on the occasion of the Olympic Games in Barcelona in 1992, it is the tallest building in the city: to its 288 meters high we must add that rises 450 meters above the sea level.
- Sagrado Corazón Temple: Both for its form and its location, looking at this temple is impossible not to come to mind Sacre Coeur in Paris. This large church was designed by Enric Sagnier i Villavecchia and was built between 1902 and 1961.
- Castles: Penya del Moro, Castellciuró or El Papiol castle medieval fortification are some of the remains of these buildings from various times, including the s.IX and XII. Many of them are now only ruins, but it is also worth visiting.
- Chapels and churches: Santa Margarida de Valldonzella, Santa Maria de les Freixes, Ermita de Sant Adjutori… This is a small example of the many religious buildings you can find in this beautiful mountain.
- Unique Tree: These are famous trees either by age or by the bizarre shapes adopted their trunks and branches.
Approaching to this mountain is, undoubtedly, a different way to discover the city, especially if you like hiking or you want to get away a little from the urban bustle. Inside the park you will find many attractions points, fountains and buildings, so it is a great idea to spend a day exploring the different routes you can take.
Since you do walk or bike, sure Collserola pleasantly surprise you.You’ll see! One of the most interesting ways is to start your path from the Tibidabo; also from most nearby towns you can return to Barcelona by train or railway. Oh, and last but not least, you will find more than one restaurant where you can taste the Catalan cuisine. Perfect, right?