There are many adjectives to describe Barcelona, but there are two that shine with special force: sporty and supportive. Every month many popular races held various purposes, from raising funds for medical research to get funding for improvements in neighborhoods. The “cursas” in Barcelona, term popularly used to say races, are known events that concentrate many citizens of the Catalan capital.
Some of them have years of tradition and are embracing more runners, but there are also races in neighborhoods, offered by private companies and popular initiatives.
Among them, some of the most famous and popular races in Barcelona are:
- Barcelona Marathon. In March you will have an appointment with the proof of proofs: the Barcelona Marathon, the challenge that everyone wants to beat. The glory available to very few. The next time will be in March 15, 2015: 42 Km of effort through some of the most popular streets in the city. Do you dare?
- Cursa El Corte Ingles. A traditional event (already 36 edition!) With 10 km route that will take you from Plaça Catalunya to around the Lluis Companys Olympic Stadium, opened in 1929 and renovated for the 1992 Olympics.
- Barcelona’s Firefighters Race. Another famous race in Barcelona: it was originally a complaint to the council demanding better working conditions for firefighters, and since 1999 has been held without interruption. It usually begins at the end of Paseo Colon and near Parc de la Ciutadella.
- Cursa de la Merce. This race is held in the framework of the celebrations of La Merce festival in Barcelona since 1871. The popular marathon has become one of the most famous recent traditions of this feast.
- Cursa de la Dona (Women race). With 10 editions behind, this race aims to raise funds for research against breast cancer. A unique event to fight a common enemy and show our solidarity side.
If you like to practice running in Barcelona you will find many races scheduled for each month of the year, with differing causes and various tours. This is a very special way to experience the city in a different way, enjoying the sport and participating in events, that in addition, most of the time, are supportive.
The running tours are gaining more strength in Barcelona: these are guided group tours to help you discover the city and its most famous landmarks while enjoying your favorite sport. It is perfect for sightseeing and playing sports with friends: you will love it.
If you prefer running alone, sure even if you are on a quick visit you will find many races in Barcelona, depending on the time you are traveling to the city. And it will be a perfect way to make new friends, isn’t it?