One of the most iconic and fascinating neighborhoods of Barcelona is undoubtedly Gràcia. Gràcia was an independent village, that joined the town of Barcelona in 1897. This neighborhood still retains that special village atmosphere and gives us some of the most remote and beautiful parts of the city. So, if you travel to Barcelona and do not know what to see, Gràcia is an excellent choice that will not disappoint. Here we show you the places you can not miss:
- Parc Güell. This work of the modernist architect, Antoni Gaudí, is undoubtedly one of the most visited places in the neighborhood of Gràcia. It has an impressive square, turned into one of the viewpoints with the best views of the city. Inspired by nature, all of the corners of the Parc Güell are worth visiting.
- Modernist architecture. Gràcia stands out for many of the most famous modernist buildings in the city of Barcelona. Among all, Casa Vicens, Casa Rubinat and Casa Ramos. The first one, Casa Vicens, is the most important. This house, located in the street Carolines, was the first major work of Gaudí, and was a spectacular bourgeois residence that plays with the contrast of colors and different materials.
- Gràcia squares. If you do not know what to see in Barcelona, squares are the most characteristic Gràcia hallmark and Plaça de la Virreina is one of the most beautiful and busy. You must visit the church of Sant Joan, located in the square. Other squares are worth seeing like Plaça del Diamant (known for being the scenario in the famous Mercè Rodoreda’s novel, La Plaça del Diamant), Plaça del Nord or Plaça de la Vila de Gràcia.
- Verdi Cinema. If you enjoy watching films in original version, Verdi Cinema is the best option, specialized in this kind of films.
- Mercat de la Llibertat. Located in Plaça de la Llibertat, Mercat de la Llibertat is one of the most spectacular modernist buildings in Gràcia. If you do not know what to see in Barcelona, this market offers a beautiful facades decorated with pieces of wrought iron.
- Fiestas de Gràcia. Every year in August, Gràcia’s streets are decorated with amazing creativity, because of the neighborhood celebration. If you do not know what time choose to visit Barcelona, travel these days and enjoy Gràcia’s festivities.
Visit Gràcia and discover each of its corners!