If you’re coming few days to Barcelona and want a quick summary of the most important places that you can not miss, you’re lucky! We have prepared a list of icons of Barcelona sorted by type. Sure you will love!
- Mercat de la Boqueria. Color and movement are the two attributes that best describe this market, where you will find the best ingredients of Mediterranean cuisine. Worth a visit if only for its picturesque appearance.
- Els Encants. This bizarre market sells second hand items for centuries. As a special feature, we will tell you it is the only market in Europe that still uses the auction system. An icon of Barcelona that will surprise you, no doubt.
- Mercat de Sant Antoni. In its daily’ll find here fresh, as in any market, but on Sundays a book fair and coins and other collectibles is held.
- Sagrada Familia. Global icon of Barcelona, this expiatory temple is the most famous work of Gaudí. Its construction has had without interruptions since it began in 1883 and continue today.
- Casa Batlló. This house Paseo de Gracia, also work of the genius of Gaudi, is located in the “Manzana de la discordia” (apple of discord), which hosts major works by other modern masters: the Casa Ametller and Casa Lleó Morera.
- Palau de la Música. Work of the great architect Lluis Domenech i Montaner, it is one of the most beautiful examples of Catalan Modernism. Be sure to admire its interior decoration, will leave you speechless.
- Catedral de la Santa Creu. Barcelona Cathedral stands proudly in the heart of the city. Do not miss its interior, with a small garden, and take a tour around: from Plaça Reial to Plaça del Pi, the Gothic Quarter will fascinate you.
- Santa Maria del Mar. This basilica was begun in 1328, and could be completed, in good apart due to donations of sailors and fishermen who lived in the neighborhood. Hence Ildefonso Falcones immortalized it as the “Catedral del mar” (Cathedral of the Sea) in his novel.
- Monestir de Sant Pau del Camp. Despite being in the lively Raval, this small monastery s. XII lives up to its name and will surprise you with its stillness. Essential a bit of calm to admire every detail.
Parks and squares
- Park Güell. Another classic icon of Barcelona, an ideal place to enjoy Gaudí works. Discover the precious mosaics, like the famous dragon at the entrance. Not to be missed!
- Avinguda del Tibidabo. Going up through this avenue on board the Tram is an unforgettable experience that will allow you to see, during the journey, many modernist houses of the high Catalan society. Once up, enjoy the park and do not forget to visit the temple.
- Parc del Guinardó. If you want good views of the city, you will not find better than here. You go up to the park through a wooded setting that will make you feel like you are out of town, and once up, you will see a 360 ° panorama.